Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I see Spain, I'm in France, I still see your underpants...

I'm currently waiting for my connecting flight in the airport at France and minus a few setbacks, all is well. Everyone keeps speaking French to me so I'm guessing I don't have the "I'm American" stamp on my forehead like some people do.

Things you take for granted that I'm soon coming to realize:
1. I can't just go to the ATM to take out some extra cash
2. My credit card getting declined because I am using it in France and my bank is doing their job
3. All the airport employees speak French when they talk to me and give me the dumb stare like, "ok, I'm waiting for a response dummie."
4. Everything looks as it should, but somehow everything feels out of place...all the shops and cafes are here and they look familiar, but they are soooo NOT familiar



Oh, wait...I lied...just heard the loveliest sound ever coming from a group of people sitting next to me...English...apparently they're going to Nairobi as well.  So far it looks like only 5 of the 20 passengers already waiting to board are actually Kenyan...are actually African...I expected to be the whitest person on the plane heading there because that's what I'm use to when we go to Ethiopia.

Concerns when I get to Nairobi:
1. Need to get my visa
2. Need to get a simcard to use my phone
3. Need to find a man I have never met or seen before that is going to take me to my hotel - he should be holding a sign with my name on it (can see anything going wrong here...)
4. Need to get back to Nairobi airport the next day with my 200lbs of luggage and not have to pay a crap load of money out of my own pocket...not that anyone would try to take advantage of a woman travelling in  foreign country by herself...eeeks!

Oh well, time to explore this airport and see what trouble I can get into...

2 comments:

  1. Holy Moly that sounds like a lot to think about!!! I wouldnt worry about it though... youre there for the ride!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GO LIZ GO!! Wish you a safe and happy trip. We miss you already-hurry up and get the goods to the good guys and get stateside!

    ReplyDelete