Saturday, August 7, 2010

Like a lightning bolt

I'm taking an educated guess that people who get struck by lightning never see it coming. I should be sleeping right now, but instead I created this blog.  My mind is an ongoing checklist of things to get done before I leave in, well, 3 days. "Pack, fill out forms, make phone calls, get my travel shots, register with the American Embassy, pack, go to Target to buy supplies, pack..." When starting my summer internship with i-KODI, I never expected this to become part of the experience.  And even when my supervisors asked me if I was willing to travel to Kenya (at which point I believe my internal response was "Heck yeah!!!"), I didn't know how likely it was to actually pan out.  I figured it best to stay cautiously optimistic. I thought to myself, "That's super cool that they would extend such an offer, but let's see how things go." 


Well, a month later I am packing my things and getting ready to go. Just 3 days ago, I received confirmation of my tickets.  3 days ago!!! And I'm leaving in 3 days!!!  This is the whole lightning bolt reference. I'm excited, nervous, eager, tired, and did I mention nervous? I will be gone for a month and my itinerary is looking a bit on the full side.  I hope the community accepts me and I make them feel comfortable and able to open up to me.  I know it's a lot to ask for since I am a stranger to them, but by the end of the month, I hope to change that and become part of the community...you know, like the crazy distant cousin you have to love because there part of the family?

1 comment:

  1. This is such a crazy and amazing opportunity!! Well deserving...so let the adventures begin :)

    ReplyDelete