Monday, August 16, 2010

Mzungu, mzungu...where are you going?

I might have to change my name to "Mzungu", which is Swahili for "white person."  Everywhere I go, both kids and adults yell out or say "Mzungu!", especially the kids in the village I am staying in.  I think I broke the ice a bit yesterday morning when crazy mzungu went for a run.  A bunch of kids were staring at me from a hill (later I found out that they thought I might be lost).  And then a couple of them came running with me for a minute before they got tired.  It was cute.  And I then became known as the crazy mzungu running in the village.  I wish that could be a profession.

So how do I some up the past few days quickly?  Okay, here goes.  I arrived in the village Thursday night along with the news of a death in the family. Yay for my perfect timing! And a few days ago, a women from the village, well a young women in her early twenties, died after childbrith because she was anemic and the hospital did not have here blood supply in stock.  At her funeral yesterday, the district commissioner made an announcement about our maternal/child health survey and trying to find means to prevent such unnecessary tragedies. He also spoke to village elders at the funeral who will now work with us to get the word out.

As for funny, weird, quirky things?  Well let's start with the "matatus" - cab/small vans with people packed like sardines driving anywhere between 50-60 mph on a pothole-ridden road.  On Saturday, ours broke down and everyone in the matatu started yelling at the driver to refund us or find us another matatu since the banks were closing in an hour.

Church - I went to a Catholic church yesterday with one of my caretakers here, James.  James is awesome.  And as we step in, he fails to inform me that women sit on the right and men on the left.  So as I start following behind him, I notice something looks odd, oh and I'm getting some interesting stares.  So I stop and take a look and large amount of suits and pants on one side and skirts and dresses on the other.  "Ohhhhh!" So I head to the women's side and have myself a seat.  Thanks James! ; )

The local market - Yesterday I walked to the local market by myself and I'm sure I took the longest route.  Landmarks are hard to find when all houses look similar, and well, there are goats and cows in every direction.  No street signs here friends.  But there is a power line and I followed it until it led me to the market.

Hygiene stuff - I poop in a hole right next to where I splash water on myself and call it a shower.  It's about 100 yards from the house. It's not so bad, just very different from the situation back home.  So, if you hate camping, you're best bet is to stay home.

Electricity - none, if I don't have stuff in my bedroom in order my the time the sun sets around 7/7:30, I can't see anything.  Thank god for my headlamp!

Food - Yummy! My caretaker, Pamela, cooks my dinners.  Ugali, Chapati, madfish, green grams, beans, rice, and more!

Other shenanigans - I hung out with the kids last night and I taught them how to take pictures with my camera. They love the camera!  Oh, and polygamy appears to still be in practice in some parts of the village as an older man introduced me to his two wives.  I keep remembering what Mike, my husband, says in regards to polygamy... "Oh my god, I can barely handle you, I couldn't imagine having more than one of you."  It sounds much more endearing when he says it! =)

That's all for today.  More pics the next time I come in to town (Kisumu). This is a wonderful experience and I'm happy to be here.  Of course, I miss my family/friends and all the things we take for granted (hot showers, toilets that flush, drinking water right from my sink, electricity, my bike, being able to just get up and go about your day, and soooo much more).  I remember feeling this way all the times I went to Ethiopia. At least there I had my family!  Miss you Mom, John, Mike, Irie, Ziggy!!!

6 comments:

  1. Hey Liz,

    I'm so sorry to hear that. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    I hope the girls family is able to find peace through these rough times.

    I think you are there for a reason and are doing a good deed. Keep your head up Mzungu :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with A. Keep it up girl! And also, my prayers are with you and your family. I'm glad you got there safely and you're already learning great things about the culture.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. woops...i should clarify...not a death in my family...but I arrived in the village the same night they received news of a death in their family...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Liz - Yikes, I can be a follower now ... a first for me!! I love reading your blog to hear about your trip & your experiences in Kenya. What a great experience you must be having! Take good care of you. "E" you later!
    Love,
    Moms/Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz, You "go girl" and keep doing your thing. You have a lot more guts than I did at your age! What an experience! Glad you're keeping good notes and can see the humor in things. that always helps. I've taken the pooches out together twice. Everything went well. I've taught them a few new words. One is "parade" and the other is "forward march". This is to keep them moving! Can't wait to talk when you get home! Take care...I love you! bkuz

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww...thanx everyone! it's nice to hear from peeps back at home...i have both my good moments where I am soooo very grateful to be here and my bad ones where I just want to get on the next flight to Boston. This is such a wonderful opportunity and experience, so I know that no matter how tough it gets, I just have to keep plugging away =)

    ReplyDelete